Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I Might Be Getting Fired

So, management can be pretty sketchy in restaurants, luckily my GM and assistant manager are pretty cool, it's the owner that the we have to worry about. He owns/manages/lives in the hotel that is connected to the restaurant and he also owns the restaurant itself. He knows how to run a hotel fairly well but he has no clue as to how a restaurant works.
I walked in Sunday morning at 5:30. I was expecting to have my usual co-worker who to help me set up breakfast. I received a call from the owner at the hotel telling me that my co-worker had called in sick at 3am. I was forced to set up breakfast by myself, when this job is done with two people, we can get it done in 20-30 minutes, nobody was their to help me and didn't get it done until 6:07 (yup, I checked) I opened the breakfast doors and found nobody except my owner standing their eyeballing his watch, he said, "breakfast is to open at 6:00AM and no later," and walked off without saying anything else.
I was pissed at that comment but I went on working and made quite a bit of money, I then proceeded to tear down breakfast at 9:35 as stated on the sidework sheet. This job might take an hour or so with two people, more if there was a huge mess, and guess what, there was a huge mess. At 10:45 the owner came down to tell me that I was to take over my sick co-worker's lunch serving shift, great. I was in a hurry to get not only my breakfast sidework done but also the lunch prepwork. I had never changed the waffle batter because normally my co-worker does it and the waffle maker is still fairly new, I had to ask one of the lunch servers how to do it, I accidentally left the bucket that held the batter, out, the only batter left in it was on the sides.
Lunch was extremely busy and I didn't get cut until 4:30. I walked in to work expecting a 5 hour shift and walked out with 12 hours.
I was exhausted and got  home at around 5:15, I went right to sleep. I woke up at about 9:30 and saw that the owner called me at 7:20 and again at 9:28. I called  him back and he was pissed after he found out I left the bucket out instead of sending it to be washed, I don't understand why it's such a big deal, I always get comments from my coworkers and managers about how hard I work and how good it is that I do all of my sidework, all of the time. A lot of people will not even try to do some of the things on their sidework lists. He told me that he wanted to see me on  Friday, so we'll have to wait until then to see what happens, I'm expecting at least a write up (never gotten one) but if I get fired I will be PISSED.

1 comment:

  1. This owner has WAY too much time on his hands chasing up stupid shit. He's already asked you to go above and beyond the call of duty (covering for your sick co-worker alone). I don't like owners who have an "idea" how they want their restaurant to run, but no real insight into the industry or how to manage staff. He should pass his concerns on to the managers and leave it to them.

    Hope he's not just picking on you, and that it goes ok on Friday.

    ReplyDelete